The purpose of this degree is to prepare men for active, full-time ministry through a distinctively Bible-centered curriculum.
Learning Outcomes: Graduates of this program will be able to
- demonstrate an advanced knowledge of the Word of God through expositional study,
- offer a credible defense of sound doctrine,
- integrate a greater understanding of Scripture into various ministry contexts,
- evaluate current issues affecting ministry in light of biblical teaching,
- formulate a biblical philosophy of ministry based upon biblical methodology,
- present advanced biblical truth correctly and clearly by means of expository discourse, and
- integrate skills in the original language with their study of the Word of God.
This program is the keystone program of Pensacola Theological Seminary, preparing men to be servant-leaders who share the gospel boldly, preach the Word clearly, and shepherd the flock faithfully.
A strong foundation of Bible-content coursework is supplemented by training and additional tools to aid in the pastorate. This program aims at the student’s acquisition of sound tools for studying the Scriptures with an emphasis on expository preaching. Comprehensive coverage coupled with technical skills is a hallmark of this curriculum.
Study for the Master of Divinity includes mastery of a field of knowledge combined with close attention to personal spiritual growth. A minimum of 96
credit hours beyond the bachelor’s degree is required for the M.Div. degree.
An incoming student may receive up to 24 hours of advanced standing. Advanced standing will be granted only for undergraduate courses with content comparable to those offered at Pensacola Theological Seminary and in which at least a “B-” was earned.
Transfer of Credits
Up to 32 hours of seminary credit may be transferred for the Master of Divinity program. Courses must have a grade “C-” or higher to be transferred. Determination of applicability of specific transfer courses to meet graduation requirements will be made by the Seminary-Graduate Studies Office. Credit earned more than 10 years prior to completion of degree requirements may not be counted toward graduation requirements. Transfer credits are excluded from a student’s grade point average.
All work for the M.Div. degree must be completed within seven consecutive years. Residence work may be completed in six semesters with some distance learning or summer sessions required. Course load may be reduced by enrolling in summer sessions, distance learning, or additional fall/spring semesters. Up to one half of course requirements may be taken by distance learning.
Minimum residence requirements can be completed with careful planning in two school years (fall/spring) with remaining courses taken through summer sessions and distance learning.
Plan of Study
The Master of Divinity program requires a minimum of 96 credit hours of coursework. Students who did not
earn credit for Baptist Polity and/or
Church Planting from PCC on the
undergraduate level will be required
to take PT 501 Baptist Polity and/or
PT 513 Evangelism and Church Planting
in addition to the 96 credit hours. Sixty-four credit hours must be completed at Pensacola Theological Seminary. During each semester in residence, the applicant will enroll in a maximum of 16 credit hours of courses on campus. The student enrolls in one course each summer session.
Three different tracks accommodate a wide variety of undergraduate training. Track 1 is for students who completed an undergraduate degree in pastoral ministries or a related area including two years of college Greek. Track 2 is for students whose undergraduate training included exposure to Bible-content courses but no biblical languages. Track 3 is for students called to the ministry after completing a liberal arts baccalaureate degree with no prior formal Bible training.
A junior is a student who has satisfied entrance requirements and who has completed fewer than 30 credit hours, including approved transfer coursework.
A middler is a student who has completed at least 30 credit hours but fewer than 60 credit hours, including approved transfer coursework.
A senior is a student who has completed at least 60 credit hours, including approved transfer coursework.
The Master of Divinity degree is conferred on students who satisfactorily complete the course of study outlined in the catalog and the following requirements.
- Complete at least 96 credit hours, including all courses required for this program of study.
- Earn a 2.00 grade point average at Pensacola Theological Seminary and earn at least a “C-” in all courses.
- Complete residence requirements at Pensacola Theological Seminary.
- Complete a Petition for Graduation form no later than registration for the first class of the summer of anticipated graduation or by the end of the drop/add period of the fall or spring semester of anticipated graduation. (Graduation fees are assessed based on stated anticipated graduation date.)
- Settle all financial obligations to the Seminary.
All graduation requirements must be completed prior to participation in Commencement. If a student has completed the graduation requirements and is on campus, he must participate in Commencement.
General Program Requirements
Students who did not earn credit for Baptist Polity and/or Church Planting from PCC on the undergraduate level will be required to take PT 501 Baptist Polity and/or PT 513 Evangelism and Church Planting in addition to these requirements.